Monday, September 24, 2012

Super Busy Post of Brain Sludge

We have been uber busy this past few weeks. I am just listing these as they spill out of my head for my own memories. Feel free to skip this one. lol

1. School. Prepping for school this year was a little different than in years past. Cristian was going to be in Pre-K. The first year of 'real' school...
Let's rewind. For the last 3 and a half years Cristian has attended a Montessori school and a Christian school. The Montessori was our fave, fave, fave...but after moving away from Helotes it just wasn't an option. The Christian school was great until June. When they moved the kids up to spend the summer with their Pre-K teacher...who then spent weeks just babysitting them. I was not impressed with this 'summer schedule' and the lack of any real teaching or schedule. Cristian did not adjust and started regressing and showing signs of anxiety. But, being the good helicopter mom that I am (I totally wear that title proudly), I stepped right in. After speaking to the administration and getting the old 'it takes all kids awhile to adjust' and 'she is just a free-spirit'; I pulled him. Our new church had a school (Pre-K through 12) and it is basically next door to our house. After meeting the director and taking a tour I knew it was the right place. He had one week between old school and new school, so Dru came and stayed for the week so I could go into work. It was perfect.
So...since his new school provided supplies, I only had to shop for a new backpack and lunch accessories. Cristian would be taking his lunch and snacks for the first time, so I needed a few different sized containers. I also had to buy a new nap mat and make a cover and blanket.
Academy was out place for a backpack. Once we arrived and I saw the wall of Barbie and Avengers I thought we might be in trouble. But, my sweetie settled on an Austin clothing company $6.99 special. I threw in the Avengers spiral and pencils as a compromise. I do not buy character clothing, backpacks, shoes etc. so I try to compromise when possible. He actually has one Cars outfit that he got as a gift and I let him wear it for bed. Sorry, I'm just not a fan.
So, I got everything ready and even made his two teachers a little first day gift. He was so excited on his first day. Carlos came to the house and we took him to school together. He was thrilled. I got pictures. They are on Facebook. I will need to download them to this computer and update this post.

2. Church. Like I said, we are in process of joining an amazing church. I have attended (mostly) Methodist churches my whole life and I love the traditional services. However, our new place is not traditional and I even surprised myself that I love it so much. Music is my thing. I have always loved to sing even though I am not necessarily good at it. I sing all the time and Cristian doesn't seem to mind that I'm no Whitney Houston. He sings right along with me. All those years with the traditional hymns were nice...but...the contemporary songs I hear every Sunday now are exactly what I have been missing all these years. The worship is mostly music and it is perfect for me. I never knew I could really tap into my faith like I do now. I have always had a strong relationship with God. I have been a believer for so long and I have never felt disconnected from my faith. But worship has never been moving to me. Always just a comfort in the tradition. There is just something that I have found in that building. Something between the music and the people. The Holy Spirit just comes alive there and prepares me for battle...the battle of Monday through Saturday. Oh, and smooched between the amazing music is the message. Pastor Sean is amazing...he relates the Word to life..current life. I always feel like he is talking right to me as each message seems to be just what I need to hear that week. We missed service this week and I am really missing the refuel and it is only Tuesday. I need to get more involved. There is a class I need to take (when they offer it again) so we can join officially. I am also planning to join a small group soon and start meeting people. I am hesitant because I don't want to ruin it. You know, us humans, always messing stuff up with our sinning and cliquish behavior.

3. Life after death. This past week I attended two funerals. On Monday, I drove to this very tiny town to attend Mandy's father-in-law's funeral. I never met George's dad, but I love me some George, so it was important that I pay my respects. George is exactly who I would have picked for Mandy...probably because he is the male version of me in many ways (ha!)...but really because he loves her and her children. And they all love him. He is the sweetest guy with a heart of gold. And he is a straight shooter...which I can really appreciate. In addition, George has a sweetheart for a mom and a hilarious brother who fits right in with our clan...too bad he lives in Yankee territory. Lol! So after the service and the reception, I took the girl and angst-filled boy with me for the long ride home. I left chatty Cathy with Mandy. Ha! We had a nice drive to get Cristian and then on to Mandy's house for dinner. I've always loved Mandy's kids...I think of them as my family...but spending time with them as teenagers has been such a delight. I helped Mandy and George move this summer and was able to spend several weekends with them. Having conversations with teenagers is actually really fun. Their opinions and viewpoints are enlightening and highlight their excellent upbringing. I know I haven't been involved with them on a day to day basis in several years...but I was around allot during their early years, so I guess I can take a lot of credit for how great they are now. Ha! I'm kidding...sort of. Actually, I had to tell Mandy later that night what a great job she has done with them. They are really cool kids. I'm sure they would hate knowing that I said that. But, I don't care...they are really awesome. So after dinner at Mandy's, Cristian and I came home...much to his dismay as he wants to stay at Mandy's for ever...she lives in the country and they have a train track across the field. Need I say more? He loves the place!
We had got word on Sunday that my Uncle Steve's mom had died. It was such a shocker. She was only in her later 60's and it was sudden. Broke.my.heart. Mom and I just loved Kathy and we really wanted to attend the service. So, Tuesday afternoon we packed up and headed East. Cristian was able to stay at his dad's and not miss school, so I was happy that worked out as it did. Mom and I stayed at Ellen's and were able to see both of the new baby girls in our family. Precious babies gave me baby fever. Kathy's service was lovely and I was doing OK until they played that song by (I think) Steven Curtis Chapman...I Can Only Imagine. Oh man, I love that song and it was perfect, just perfect. When we got to the cemetery, I realized that Steve's parents had bought the tomb right above my Grandparents. That actually made me feel so much better. Knowing that Kathy would be right they next to my Granny and Papa and that they were there to welcome her home. I miss them so much.

4. Work. Well, we had a reorg at the office earlier this summer. My position was revamped and I was moved into a new department with a new manager. I basically do the same thing, but will also be taking on a few new tasks. It should be an interesting challenge. My new manager is really kind and gracious and has been supportive of my team as we transition. There were a few bumps along the way, but I have moved on from those and am feeling good about the change. This week I will be moving cubicles. My new team is on the other side of our wing and so I have to move. Tomorrow, in fact. I cleaned out my cube last week in preparation, so I am eager for the move so I can unpack my things and settle in my new digs.

5. My School. Oh, you mean you didn't know that I am going back to school? Well, I am. On October 22nd. Don't be jealous! I am thrilled. Lamar has an online program that is completely online and self paced. There are regular semester length classes and also 8 week condensed classes. I can't wit to get started on finishing my degree...finally!! It should take me somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 years. I am a Junior, so it just depends on how much work I can handle. I started with just 2 classes during this first condensed session, so we shall see. Never, never, quit. Unless it is smoking, of course....then, never, never, start.

OK, I suppose that gets us up to speed on the latest happenings. There are a few more notes about Cristian's school challenges I wanted to cover, but that's enough for tonight.

No comments: